Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Teen Weirds Out Parents With Black Ceiling

Used satin instead of flat on the ceiling on
purpose to bounce light around but it doesn't help much
As promised,  here are some pix of our teenager's room and future guest room.  Yes, the ceiling is black too.    To offset the darkness of it, we used a satin paint so light would bounce rather than be absorbed and put in mirrored closet doors instead of wood.

The mirrored doors also help bounce light around 
I'm guessing you think we are crazy for painting the room black but I made a deal.  The deal was that my teen could have a black room but would have to repaint the whole room, including the ceiling, before leaving for college.  That meant the stripes had to be painted very carefully so little to no sanding would be needed later on.  It also meant I had to say no to painted stars on the ceiling.  No one wants to have to sand down and re-texture a ceiling.  If stars are necessary I believe there's some kind of fluorescent tape used backstage at theatres that we could use to get the same effect.  Forgot what it's called though.



We used leftover paint from other projects to paint the stripes
Don't give away my secret, but I kind of like the wavy stripes and how the mirrored doors distort them in the reflection.  Officially though, I'm complaining about the whole darn concept, which of course, just makes it more precious to my kid.  And when the thrill of not being able to see anything in the room, even during the day, wears off, I will not say "I told you so!"

No comments:

Post a Comment